Today @ Colorado State has been replaced by SOURCE. This site exists as an archive of Today @ Colorado State stories between January 1, 2009 and September 8, 2014.

Facilities / Parking

Opening of refurbished historical building celebrated

January 27, 2010

Colorado State University Wednesday unveiled a new building originally constructed in 1883; one of the oldest buildings on campus recently underwent a $5 million restoration, thanks to 170 private donors.

Former Industrial Sciences Building

The former Industrial Sciences Building, now called the Preconstruction Center, was the collective work of Colorado construction firms, industry organizations and student groups who donated funds and in-kind support to refurbish the building room by room.

The renovation features a state-of-the-art laboratories, classrooms, lecture hall, study lounge, technology center and public spaces. The building is part of the construction management program at the university.

Unique renovation project

“This unique renovation project allowed the university to preserve an historic campus landmark that was in dire need of a renovation,” said Tony Frank, president of Colorado State University.

“It’s impressive that 170 people and companies saw a common need to preserve this space and make it beautiful and useful to our faculty and students once again. Their support and collaboration is more than just an investment in a building — it’s an investment in the long-term competitiveness of one of the nation’s top academic programs in construction management. We’re grateful to them for their generous contributions and their extraordinary dedication to CSU and this program.”

Preserved historical significance of building

The project maintained almost all of the original construction in order to preserve the historical significance of the building. One of several strategies to keep the building green, for example, was to refinish the original oak flooring. In addition, the building has become a unique learning environment, with windows into the interior walls and exposed infrastructure so that construction management students can see the inner workings of the building as they’re learning building construction.

Some new additions also helped to bring the building up to standards of the 21st century, such as the addition of roof insulation, which had not existed in the building before the refurbishment, low flow fixtures and automatic faucets. Where carpet was installed, it was made from recycled materials, as were new ceiling tiles.

Preconstruction Center now a showplace

“The Preconstruction Center is now a showplace for the campus in several ways,” said Mostafa Khattab, department head of construction management. “It is the landmark it has always been, and now a learning environment and space that was badly needed to relieve cramped conditions in some of our classrooms.”

The best information available suggests that this project is a one-of-a-kind in the nation in terms of the number of collaborating businesses supporting a construction project on a college campus.

While the renovation was funded by private donations, the University Facility Fee Advisory Board, the University Technology Fee Advisory Board and students in the College of Applied Human Sciences, provided furniture – tables, chairs and desks -- and the computers and equipment in the building. The groups contributed from $60,000 to $250,000 each.

Ed Haselden led with initial donation

Ed Haselden, president of Haselden Construction in Centennial and a member of the Board of Governors of the CSU System, led with the initial donation to renovate a classroom and laboratory space. Renovated rooms are named to recognize support from construction industry donors.

The Haselden Preconstruction Learning Lab will provide students in capstone classes with experiences that prepare them to be industry-ready before internships or employment.

Other generous donors

Saunders Construction Inc., another Denver-area based company, renovated an old laboratory space into the preconstruction lecture hall.

PCL Construction of Denver committed funds for the Laurel Street entrance lobby and adjoining classroom.

Hensel Phelps Construction of Greeley named the northwest classroom, and G.E. Johnson of Colorado Springs and Denver sponsored updates to the lobby and entrance off CSU's historic Oval.

Gerald H. Phipps supported a student study room in the heart of the building.

The second floor student computer lab was sponsored by Kiewit, whose gift is being provided by the corporation, its foundation and individual employees, many of whom are CSU alumni.

A second floor technology lab is named for donors who together funded the building's mechanical and electrical operations: Mechanical Contractors Association, the National Electrical Contractors Association and the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning National Association.

Renovation of the courtyard off the Oval was a partnership by Concrete Frame Associates and ValleyCrest Landscape Development of Denver.

Foundry in building served as a production center during World War II

The original building has a complex history of construction, with the original red sandstone building that faces Rembrandt Street being built in 1883, some additions to the north facing Laurel Street built in two following phases, an addition to the east end of the building completed in 1892, and another addition to the west end in 1896. Finally, a horse stable was built and connected to the building in 1899.

The building is one of the few remaining structures on campus from the Pioneer Era – 1870-1909. Formerly known as the Mechanic Shop, its name was changed in the 1890s to the Mechanical Engineering Building. In 1959, the name changed to the Arts Building, in 1969 to Arts-Industrial and in 1972 to Industrial Sciences. The foundry in the building played an important part in World War II by serving as a valuable production center during the war. The building now serves the Department of Construction Management.

Ensuring student access to world-class education

The Preconstruction Center funding supports the Campaign for Colorado State University. The goal of the Campaign for Colorado State University is to raise $500 million in private support from July 1, 2005 – June 30, 2012. To date, $294 million of that goal has been reached. The campaign focuses on:

  • ensuring student access to a world-class education through scholarships and fellowships
  • provides funds for research, outreach, economic development, technology advancements, and learning outside the classroom
  • supports new and renovated facilities – from laboratories to classrooms to athletic facilities

Contact: Dell Rae Moellenberg
E-mail: DellRae.Moellenberg@colostate.edu
Phone: (970) 491-6009