Local insights into FoCo
May 22, 2010
By Kayla Green
For those of you just beginning your journey into the college world, here are some tips to get you caught up on the things current CSU students already know. . . .
Favorite spots around town
Old Town is a great place to hang out -- the area has a unique feel and vibe.
- Old Town offers many local 'mom and pop' shops and restaurants that give Old Town its unique one-of-a-kind feel.
- Many students enjoy visiting, swimming, and picnicking at Fort Collins' very own Horsetooth Reservoir.
- The Oval, being one of CSU's most historic locations, offers beautiful landscaping, unique events, and a quiet place to relax and enjoy a picnic after a long day around the town.
Unique FoCo things to do
- Fort Fun offers miniature golf, laser tag, go karts, and many more activities to help you entertain your family when they stop in for a visit.
- Enjoy a concert at the Aggie or Hodi's.
- Visit the Swetsville Zoo and see some of the most unique metal creatures and creations.
- Hang out and enjoy the company as you eat, play pool, or listen to the jukebox in the 'Skeller.
The 2009 Taste of Fort Collins featured the Gin Blossoms.
- If you're around June 12-13, be sure to check out the Taste of Fort Collins where many of Fort Collins's very own restaurants show up to show off their best menu items. Plus, there will be live music to keep you entertained.
- The Lagoon Summer Concert Series is put on by the Mantooth Company and is hosted by CSU. The event begins in July and is located on our very own West Lawn.
- And just before college kicks off another year, be sure to stop in to see the New West Fest. It's an annual tradition that brings together nearly 60 local bands with popular headliners such as the Flobots and Earth, Wind, and Fire. Likewise, you'll find plenty to do with all the food, booths, and art that will be showcased here.
Dinner out and local food
- Beau Jo's offers "Colorado Style" pizza and is located in the heart of Old Town.
- HuHot Mongolian Grill allows you the opportunity to choose your meats, veggies, and sauces; pile them into a bowl; and watch the chefs cook it in front of you.
- CooperSmith's offers a classic pub feel with modernized food and a unique design that allows you to choose between pubside and poolside.
- Pickle Barrel offers unique sandwiches for both the vegan and meat-eaters of the world. In an effort to remain sustainable, they offer drinks in unique, old-fashioned jars.
- Cafe Mexicali is also a favorite among many CSU students based on its great Mexican food and the great student discounts they offer.
Late night munchies
- CHeBA HUT offers sandwiches, salads, and many munchies that can curb any appetite in the wee hours of the morning.
- D.P. Dough offers a variety of calzones that can appeal to any taste bud no matter the time of day. And the best part? They still deliver past midnight.
Well, I hope this has given you something to consider when visiting during Preview, Next Step, or whenever you're in town.