Welcome from the CSU Interim President
January 22, 2009
Welcome to Colorado State University for the 2009 spring semester! I hope all of you had a fun and restful holiday.
For faculty, students, and staff alike, the start of a new year and new academic semester carries a sense of renewed energy and possibility, and we begin the year celebrating a number of achievements that took place over the break:
- Colorado State’s selection as a Carnegie Community Engagement University by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- Business Week’s selection of CSU spin-off company AVA Solar as one of the most successful start-up companies of 2008—a tribute to the groundbreaking solar technology developed by Professor W.S. Sampath
- A great win by Coach Fairchild and our football team -- shared by thousands of Ram fans -- at the New Mexico Bowl, and another successful season for Coach Hilbert and the Rams volleyball team, capped off by their 14th consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament
- The launch of a new Continuing Education center focused on workforce development at Centerra in Loveland, made possible through a partnership with local business leaders
- The accreditation of CSU-Global Campus by the Higher Learning Commission
- Appointment of Natural Sciences Dean Rick Miranda as Interim Provost
- The beginning of construction on the new Research Innovation Center and the University’s first parking garage
- The honoring of longtime CSU supporters and distinguished alumni Dick and Eddie Robinson as the 2009 Citizens of the West at the National Western Stock Show
- Conferral of CSU’s 150,000th bachelor’s degree and 200,000th overall degree during fall 2008 commencement ceremonies
While this semester undoubtedly will bring new challenges, it also will bring continued evidence of the excellence of our academic community and the capability and competitiveness of our scholars. I look forward to working with you and continuing to serve Colorado State University over the coming term. Best wishes for a great semester!
Dr. Anthony A. Frank