Today @ Colorado State has been replaced by SOURCE. This site exists as an archive of Today @ Colorado State stories between January 1, 2009 and September 8, 2014.

Events

2012 Range and Drought Clinic

July 25, 2012

Ninety-eight percent of Colorado is experiencing some level of drought. Ranchers -- learn how to tailor a drought plan to your own operations. Speakers at the 2012 Eastern Colorado Range and Drought Clinic will share what others have learned in developing and implementing drought plans.

In the last three months, temperatures have been five degrees above normal for most of Colorado, with some areas experiencing temperatures eight degrees above normal.Tuesday, July 31
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Burlington, Colorado
Community Center, 340 S. 14th Street

Clinic addresses extreme drought

“Eastern Colorado has been especially hard-hit with this year’s drought," Casey Matney, Ph.D., Regional Range Extension Specialist (CSU) for Northeast Colorado, says. 

"Approximately 60% of Eastern Colorado is suffering from extreme drought, while the other 40% is rated as severe drought. In response to these extremely warm and dry conditions, CSU Extension and partners are offering the first ever Eastern Colorado Range and Drought Clinic. 

"We've pooled together experts in the field of range and drought management from across our region.  Ranchers and livestock producers from all over Colorado are encouraged to attend this event. The information provided at this clinic will be of great utility this year and in the years to follow.”

Clinic details

Sponsored by Colorado State University Extension, the National Drought Mitigation Center, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Risk Management Agency, with Colorado counties cooperating. The School of Global Environmental Sustainability has provided advertisement for the clinic on their website.  

Wide span of topics

This clinic will provide information on:

  • managing drought risk on the ranch,
  • drought planning,
  • forage and livestock management during drought,
  • financial considerations in drought risk management, as well as an overview of pasture, rangeland, and forage insurance,
  • regional climate outlook,
  • basic ruminant nutrition,
  • what drives forage intake in ruminants,
  • nutrition of eastern Colorado grasses,
  • opportunities in the replacement heifer segment of beef production systems,
  • pointers for grazing in wetland/riparian areas,
  • enterprise budgets,
  • mortality composting,
  • swath grazing, and
  • limited irrigation grass forage production.

Sampling of topics

A sampling of two topics reveals the depth of the knowledge-base in the topics being presented at the conference:

Cody Knutson, Ph.D., National Drought Mitigation Center will discuss the work of the center, which works with ranchers and advisors throughout the Great Plains to develop “Managing Drought Risk on the Ranch,” a drought planning guide. With funding support from the USDA Risk Management Agency, we are able to bring this guide and a discussion of ranch drought planning to ranchers in Colorado, Nebraska, and Kansas.

Jerry Volesky, Ph.D., UNL West Central Research and Extension Centers, will discuss how the making of management decisions during a drought requires a lot of careful consideration. Jerry’s presentation will focus on livestock management options during drought, and discuss how producers might make decisions as to the most appropriate strategies for their own operations.

Clinic only $20/person or $5/student

The fee for the clinic is $20 per person, $25 per couple, or $5 for a student. Lunch will be provided. To register for the clinic, see the complete agenda, and see the list of speakers visit us on the web at www.range.colostate.edu or call (719) 346- 5571 for more details. Extension programs are available to all without discrimination.

Drought resources from the Colorado Climate Center at Colorado State University. 


Contact: Casey Matney, Ph.D.
E-mail: casey.matney@colostate.edu
Phone: (719) 346-5571