Today @ Colorado State has been replaced by SOURCE. This site exists as an archive of Today @ Colorado State stories between January 1, 2009 and September 8, 2014.

Events

Turn of the century: Expansion

February 2, 2010

On Feb. 11, Founders Day, Colorado State University will celebrate 140 years of academic excellence, research, service, and outreach to the citizens of Colorado and the world. Since 1870, Colorado State has impacted individuals around the state and the world with world-renowned research in infectious disease, atmospheric science, clean-energy technologies, and environmental science.

Barton O. Aylesworth, the fourth president (1899-1909), of what is now known as Colorado State University.

Expansion of support

The start of the 20th century brought Colorado Agricultural College new possibilities for expansion.

The college, now under the direction of President Barton Aylesworth, saw an increase of community and organizational support from the Colorado Cattle and Horse Growers Association.

The association arranged for two of its members to be appointed to CAC’s governing board and in turn helped the school’s agricultural program prosper. This influence also allowed for the re-establishment of the veterinary medicine program with the boards’ hiring of George Glover, one of CAC’s first three graduates.

Intro of Forestry, Electrical Engineering

Forestry and electrical engineering programs also emerged during the beginning of the century, offering students four-year programs in each field by decades end.

Athletics, activities, and societies

Aylesworth fully endorsed non-academic activities and societies sponsored by CAC allowing extracurricular activities to sprout. Football returned to CAC along with baseball which became the school’s most popular sport during its early years.

Baseball was the most popular sport on campus in the early 1900s.

Professional organizations like the Civil and Irrigation Engineering Association, the Agricultural Club and the Domestic Science Club began along with CAC’s first honorary fraternity, Alpha Zeta, in 1906.

Band, orchestra, and glee club

One of the largest additions to the college was the organization of a band, orchestra and glee club on campus in 1901. These elements eventually lead to the Conservatory of Music that housed 150 students by 1910 in the newly constructed Guggenheim Hall. This new CAC instillation allowed for connections to be formed between the college and Fort Collins community by offering public musical performances.

Written by Sarah Gianti, CSU Department of Public Relations Intern, Journalism and Technical Communications ‘10.


Contact: Jennifer Dimas
E-mail: jennifer.dimas@colostate.edu
Phone: (970) 491-1543