Today @ Colorado State has been replaced by SOURCE. This site exists as an archive of Today @ Colorado State stories between January 1, 2009 and September 8, 2014.

Health / Safety

Mental health resources for employees

April 27, 2011

As a CSU employee, you're in a unique position to help keep our campus a vibrant, safe, engaging community.

Man who is worriedYou are the eyes and ears of the university and are the frontline in identifying students or fellow coworkers who may be having a difficult time with stress or emotions.

At any time, if you believe a member of the campus community is a potential immediate danger to him or herself or others, it is important that you contact CSU police by calling 911 or the department’s non-emergency number at 970-491-6425 as soon as possible. Your help may save a life.

Taking care of yourself and co-workers

Colorado State University provides a variety of options to connect you, or someone you are concerned about, to helpful resources.

  • Call 970-491-1350 to discuss concerns about any member of the CSU community. Your call can help connect the person you are concerned about with appropriate resources.

  • If you concerned that someone at CSU (including yourself, a co-worker or a student) might be too stressed, sad or angry, we encourage you to Tell Someone. As part of that request, the Public Safety Team has developed a new online resource designed to connect you to people who can and want to help.

    You can visit the Tell Someone webpage on the university’s Safety site to review information about resources and how to tell if an individual might need help, and fill out the online health and safety referral form at to connect the person you are concerned about with support.

  • If you are concerned about yourself or a family member, you can find a caring professional to talk to through CSU’s Employee Assistance Program at 1-800-497-9133, TDD: 800-697-0353. This service, staffed by experienced clinicians, is available by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A guidance consultant will refer employees to a local, licensed counselor or to resources in the community. 

    All CSU employees and dependents are allowed up to six free sessions per family member, per problem area, per year. For additional resources, log onto First-time users must create an account (when prompted, enter CSU's Company ID: CSUEAP).

Helping a Distressed Student

If you are specifically concerned about a student who is having a difficult time with stress, depression, anger or other emotions:

  • Educate yourself on how to tell if an individual might need help, CSU resources, how best to communicate and connect distressed students to campus resources online at

  • Tell Someone using the new online information and health and safety referral form (discussed above) at to connect the person you are concerned about with support.  

  • Call 970-491-1350 to report or discuss concerns about a student. Your call can help connect the person you are concerned about with appropriate resources.

  • Explore Ulifeline, to learn more about mental health and suicide, online at

  • Know you can always call Student Case Management at 970-491-8051 for help with locating resources and referrals for students. Counseling Services can be reached at (970) 491-6053 during business hours or an on-call counselor can be reached after hours at (970) 491-7111. You may also bring a student to the Counseling Services office in 123 NW Aylesworth Hall for an immediate consultation during business hours, Monday-Friday 7:30-4:30 and until 7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays.

Emotional well-being is at the center of each person’s success. Please take advantage of these resources to help others in our community.

Contact: Dell Rae Moellenberg
Phone: 970-491-6009